Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happiness During Wartime

This is true happiness. I've been waiting for this news for so long. Todd Solondz is back!

Like Palindromes, it looks like we might be getting ties to some already beloved characters - even if they've killed themselves. And did someone say Emma Thompson?

"The progressive/transgressive minds at new indie production and finance joint Werc Werk Works have stepped in to (gasp!) produce and finance Solondz's latest journey into the darkest recesses of the human psyche, a proposed semi-sequel to his twisted cult classic Happiness, rumored to be titled Life During Wartime. The film is set to star Demi Moore, Paul Reubens and Emma Thompson, among others, as people twittering on the edge of an unpredictable, sexually alienating world (sounds about right), and is slated to begin shooting in October. " (JoBlo)

Bless you Todd Solondz for tapping into such extreme human misery and making it all so hysterical. We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you.

"I know this is going to sound horrible. I just feel like I have to be open with you and get beyond all the old barriers - the sibling nonsense. Well the truth is I always thought that you would never amount to much - that you would end up alone, without a career or anything. You know, I mean really it's what we all thought. Mom, Dad, Helen... everyone. Oh I always prayed we would be wrong, but somehow you always seemed so doomed to failure... But now I see that's not true! There's a glimmer of hope for you after all. I'm sorry, I know I'm repeating myself. I'm just really happy for you."
-Happiness

No comments: