Monday, October 6, 2008

Freaky Friday the 13th


"I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!
No, I didn't mean that. I love you.
I hate you!"


I don't have much time to discuss the latest and greatest Final Girl Film Club selection, William Castle's Strait-Jacket, but take this psychotic rambling as proof of my newfound love.

Writer Robert Bloch (Psycho) clearly has mother issues, or mother impersonation issues. The daughter, Carol Harbin, is like a Scooby Doo version of Norman Bates. If a boy's best friend is his mother, then a girl's best friend is her fiance's bank account, and the best insurance is her homicidal mother. The equal parts awesome and stupid Goosebumps-style ending isn't a total shocker, especially given the certifiable crazy-eye Carol sports in the opening scene. It must be genetic.


Strait-Jacket is a truly fun and schizo slice of schlock brilliance, and one must always appreciate Joan Crawford embracing her inner scary. Thankfully she listened to that voice in her head that told her to take this role against all better judgment. She's now part of the best mother/daughter duo I've seen since the Gilmore Girls, only Lucy and Carol Harbin's connection clearly goes much deeper.

No comments: